A Different Form of Workforce
Remote work saw a mass adoption during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic and even now remains quite popular among much of the workforce. Some researchers even predict that within the next year, almost half of all capable workers will work partly or completely remotely. In fact, the popularity of remote work is even reshaping the way companies build their teams. However, not every company has been able to smoothly transition into accommodating this new form of workforce. Thankfully, ITS has been here to assist. We know what to look for when finding employees to fill remote positions for any role you need. But what are the factors that need to be considered when hiring remote employees?
The Replaceability Misconception
One of the struggles of remote work is the frequent misconception that remote workers are more easily replaceable than their onsite counterparts. A survey found that 67% of respondents express this sentiment. Addressing this perception is crucial for fostering a culture that values remote team members and recognizes the unique contributions they bring to the table. A remote employee is still an employee with the same value and potential as any other, so it's vital to begin the process of hiring remote employees with that in mind.
Necessities to Work Remotely
Of course, one of the most important things to consider when hiring an employee who will work remotely is their actual ability to effectively work remotely. Whether they are working fully or partially remotely, it's vital to ensure they have the infrastructure available to them to perform their responsibilities. Thankfully, there are ways to test these capabilities early in the hiring process.
- Virtual Interviews:
- Conducting virtual interviews is a practical way to assess a candidate's readiness for remote work. It not only allows you to evaluate their communication skills but also provides insights into their comfort and proficiency with remote communication tools.
- Technical Assessments:
- Depending on the nature of the role, you can administer technical assessments that simulate tasks the candidate would encounter in a remote work environment. This could include coding challenges, writing samples, or other role-specific assignments.
- Problem-Solving Scenarios:
- Presenting candidates with real-world scenarios and asking how they would approach and solve problems remotely can help gauge their ability to adapt to a remote work setting. This could be particularly relevant for roles that require creative thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Soft Skills Assessment:
- Assessing soft skills, such as time management, self-motivation, and the ability to work independently, is crucial for remote roles. Behavioral questions and situational assessments can help evaluate these qualities.
- Remote Work Simulation:
- Consider simulating a remote work environment during the interview process. This could involve giving candidates a task to complete remotely or participating in a virtual team collaboration scenario.
By incorporating these methods into your hiring process, you can gain a comprehensive understanding of a candidate's capabilities and suitability for remote work. This also comes with the added benefit of enabling you to interview more applicants quicker and easier than ever before, increasing your likelihood of finding the perfect fit.
Navigating the Remote Recruitment Landscape
Throwing remote elements into the works creates a whole new dimension that needs to be considered, but at its core, the hiring process for a remote worker is the same as a traditional one. You need to identify who has the best skills and mentality in order to get the job done, be it in the office or through a computer screen.
Ready to Elevate Your Recruitment Process?
Are you an HR professional seeking to streamline your recruitment process without losing the personal touch? ITS offers Recruitment Process Outsourcing (RPO) services tailored to your specific needs. Our seasoned experts will handle the entire recruitment journey, from sourcing to onboarding, allowing you to focus on your core business objectives.
Connect with us today to explore how our RPO services can enhance your recruitment strategies.
Elevate your hiring process with ITS - where technology meets the human touch!